Sunday, July 12, 2015

One day more - Holiday day 6

So after the London passes expired after Windsor, we started to "see what we see", which I've found is a nice way to holiday.  We got a leisurely start, starting first with Harrods which is always a great escape from reality.  The toy section is my favourite, always boggles the mind that people spend that much money on their kids (see this and this).  We wandered through the different departments, played "guess that price tag" and then stopping for a fancy sandwich in Harrods (lesson learned from Westminster lunch issues).

Then we took the tube to my other favourite shop - Liberty.  I just love the 3rd floor in Liberty.  I also love the stationary and the flower shop and the Christmas section and the furniture part as well.  I just love that store.  It was nice to go with girlfriends who appreciate flowery things as much as I do.

Then it was off to the British library to see first editions of some of the most famous books in the world, handwritten lyrics to Beatles songs on napkins (Help!) and famous sacred books like very old biblical texts and the Torah.  Its always a fascinating visit, one of my favourite best kept secrets of London.  

We finished seeing the books and were just about to leave when someone pulled a fire alarm, which was alarming...can you imagine all of those priceless documents (including a Magna Carta) going up in flames?  Anyways, we were ushered out separately and thankfully found each other.  There wasn't a fire, but we decided to move out of the chaos. There were a lot of people acting very strange about the alarm, which had me a bit nervous.  Thankfully it all turned out fine.

We then headed for dinner in Covent Garden at Le Pain Quotidien (hitting all the major chains!).  Excellent location at the top of the massive shopping building and great food.  

Then it was off to ....  Les Miserables!  I have been saving it to go with someone special and it worked out perfect.  It was a great show - so sad, poignant, and beautiful story of redemption.  I loved every second of it.  And Javier was excellent - better than Russell Crowe (although I maintain Russell Crowe wasn't that bad).  

No pictures of the day without people or just me in them, but suffice it to say, it was a lovely day!

No comments:

Post a Comment